Mid Ulster LFC vs Loughgall

By · August 16, 2009 · Filed in Match Report
Wednesday saw Mid Ulster travel to Armagh where they faced a Loughgall team desperate to earn some points to lift them out of the relegation zone.  Mid Ulster too had an incentive to win as they knew that 3 points would virtually ensure their status as a Premier League side for next season.   Mid Ulster came into the game on the back of a free week and in the early exchanges a little rustiness was apparent with some wayward first touches and balls going astray.  However the girls set to their task and as the half progressed the Mid Ulster girls started to come more into the game.  Mid Ulster were enjoying a lot of possession on the right wing with Michelle Derby and Simone Magill combining well to put the Loughgall back line under pressure.  The Loughgall girls were not going to sit back and they too had their moments but Mykylea Stewart, Karen Donnell and Claire Brown mopped up the pressure efficiently.  Things on the left had been quiet until Colleen McCullagh picked up the ball at left back and fed Ruth Brown on the left side of mid field.  A super turn from Ruth left her marker for dead and Ruth ran on beating two more Loughgall defenders before placing the ball past the Loughgall keeper into the far corner of the net.  The relief among the visitors was palpable and the Mid Ulster team really settled down after this goal.   Loughgall were still pushing for an equaliser but good defending and tracking back from Adele Gillespe and Hayley O’ Donnell had restricted their efforts to shots from distance that keeper Tracy Bell had no problem in dealing with.  Mid Ulster also continued to press and Simone Magill was causing her marker no end of problems with her quick feet and superb dribbling.  Having picked up the ball in midfield she made a great run down the right wing before driving in a low cross that Laura Burton was on hand to tuck away.  The visitors continued to press and it was no surprise that before the break they further extended their lead when once again Simone Magill broke through the Loughgall back line.  The Loughgall sweeper did get a block onto the resultant shot but it only served to divert the ball past her stranded keeper and she would probably be happier to credit the goal to Simone.  So the half ended 3 -0 to the visitors. The second half started with Mid Ulster again in the ascendency and an early chance saw Michelle Scott nip in to pick up a ball that broke as a Loughgall defender collided with her keeper.  Michelle made no mistake in directing the difficult bouncing rebound to the back of the net.  Unfortunately the clash resulted in a serious injury to the Loughgall keeper who subsequently was taken to hospital.  The game was stopped for some time to allow treatment and although play did resume both teams were somewhat shocked by the incident.  Happily we can report that the keeper is on the road to recovery and both teams wish her well.  So the game progressed and both teams made a number of changes but there was to be no further addition to the scoreline and the game ended 4-0 to Mid Ulster.