Mid Ulster 0 Glentoran BU 4

By · May 13, 2010 · Filed in Match Report

Sunnie in her new role as Chief Water Bottle Carrier.

Mid Ulster hosted Glentoran Belfast Utd in the Davisons Fruddles Premier League on Wednesday night.  With BU unbeaten in the league so far this season the Mid Ulster girls knew they would have a difficult game on their hands.  Mid Ulster had Michelle Scott back in the side but Debbie Rankin and Simone Magill were ruled out through injury (but Simone did manage to carry the water bottles). Both teams showed total commitment in the first half and whilst BU shaded the possession they failed to really test Mid Ulster keeper Tracy Bell.  Mid Ulster were also working hard but they were finding it difficult to find much fluency in their play.  As the half wore on the home team started to come more into the game and were using every opportunity to play the ball out from the back.   However just before the half time whistle the visitors took the lead when Laura Hislop picked up the ball on the edge of the box and unleashed a shot into the bottom left hand corner.
Adele Gillespe in action. Photo courtesy of Clifford Barnes
Mid Ulster started the second half unchanged and they started fired up and won an early free kick.  Mykylea Stewarts delivery was headed goal wards by Hayley O’Donnell but it didn’t really have the power to trouble the BU no 1.  BU responded well and in their next attack they were only thwarted by a goal line clearance by Mykylea Stewart.  Louise Murphy replaced Stacey Lee for the home team after 10 minutes of the half and it was in this period that Mid Ulster also enjoyed their best spell of possession.  The interplay on the right hand side of midfield between Ruth Brown, Adele Gillespe and Michelle Scott was a joy to watch but they just couldn’t find a way through a resolute BU back line.  However Mid Ulster couldn’t afford any slip ups and unfortunately it was from a poor kick out that BU scored their next goal.  Gail Macklin nipped in first to pick up the ball and fed Catherine O’Hagan to score with 63minutes played.  Mid Ulster continued to try to get back into the match but BU used all their experience to soak up any pressure.  As the half wore to a close the visitors again benefited when the ball bobbled up to strike Louise O’Hagans arm in the box.  The resultant penalty was expertly dispatched by Kellie Baille for BU making the score 3- 0 with 85 minutes played.  In the 89th minute Gail Macklin put a gloss on the final scoreline when she nipped in to make it 4 -0 to the visitors. Mid Ulster Team: T Bell, C Brown, K Stirrup, M Stewart, C McCullagh, R Brown, H O’Donnell, A Gillespe, S Lee (L Murphy), C Barnes, M Scott. Subs not used J McGurk, D Rankin, C Charles, K Ballentine, E Junk.