Mid Ulster 2 YMCA 2

By · May 19, 2010 · Filed in Match Report

Ruth Brown Captain Mid Ulster & Aine McKeever Captain YMCA celebrate UEFA Grassroots Day.

Mid Ulster entertained YMCA in the Davisons Frudles Premier League on a damp Wednesday night.  Mid Ulster started the game well and earned a free kick on the right side of the field.  A ball whipped in by Adele Gillespe was diverted into their own net by one of the YMCA defenders to give Mid Ulster a dream start.  Mid Ulster spurred on by their good start had the majority of possession but YMCA were dangerous on the break.  After 11 minutes they took full advantage of a quick counter attack and Ursina Capeder used her strength to hold off the Mid Ulster defence and despatch a low shot to bring the game level.  Throughout the remainder of the half both teams had chances with free kicks at either end narrowly missing the target.  With 38 minutes played Mid Ulster No 1 Tracey Bell had to be on her toes to once again thwart the YMCA no 7. The second half started with both teams unchanged and once again Mid Ulster started the brighter.  Good work on the left by Stacey Lee and Michelle Scott resulted in a cross which Simone Magill headed just over the bar.  The match was proving to be a physical encounter with neither team giving any quarter and Adele Gillespe was on the end of a couple of meaty challenges resulting in a yellow card for one of the YMCA players.  The tackles from both sides were not malcious just a little enthusiastic and Chloe Barnes for the home team also entered the book early in the half.  After 13 minutes Racheal Stewart replaced Michelle Scott who had pulled up with an injury.   The start of the half was dominated by Mid Ulster but once again YMCA took their advantage on the break.  In a situation very similar to the first goal Ursina Capeder once again showed clinical finsihing to put the visitors into the lead.  Shortly after this Jill Overend made her debut for the club replacing Chloe Barnes.  Jill made an immediate impact winning a corner with her first touch of the ball as Mid Ulster once again began to exert some pressure.  Adele Gillespe and Hayley O'Donnell were taking control in midfield and won two free kicks approximately 30 yards out.  Unfortunately both ended up in the hands of the visiting number 1.   The pressure was begining to mount and after 34 minutes the home team drew level when Simone Magill controlled a ball on the edge of the box and unleashed an unstoppable shot into the left corner of the net.  With 10 minutes remaining Mid Ulster pushed for a winner but they couldnt break down the YMCA defence.  A YMCA free on the edge of the Mid Ulster box led to a nervous final few minutes for the home supporters but Claire & Ruth Brown, Karen Donnell and Colleen McCullagh made sure there were to be no more goals for the visitors. Final Score MId Ulster 2  YMCA 2 Team T Elliot, R Brown, C Brown, K Donnell, C McCullagh, A Gillespe, H O'Donnell, S Lee, S Magill, C Barnes (J Overend), M Scott (R Stewart). Subs not used K Ballentine, D Rankin, L Richardson.