Mid Ulster lose out in Quarter Final

By · July 19, 2011 · Filed in Match Report
Mid Ulster entertained Glentoran Belfast Utd on Monday night in the only all Premier League Quarter Final of the IFA Coca Cola Cup.  The game was kindly sponsored by Really Good (QVS) Armagh and the game lived up to the “Really Good” billing.  Glentoran got off to a perfect start when they took the lead after only 2minutes of play when Catherine O’Hagen ran onto a good through ball to convert for the visitors.  More pressure from the kick off from Glentoran needed a good clearance from Adele Gillespie at the expense of a corner.  From the in swinger Jacqueline Burns in the Mid Ulster goal took the ball well and relieved the pressure on the home team.   A shot just over from Glentoran and a good save from a Glentoran free kick ensured that the first 10 minutes were all going with the visitors.  The large crowd in attendance, including N.Ireland Manager Alfie Wylie may have thought it was going to be a stroll for Glentoran after this opening but the Mid Ulster girls had other ideas.   Hayley O’Donnell in midfield was starting to get more involved in the game and a good through ball from her resulted in the first corner of the night for the home team.  A training ground move needed a good tackle from Ashley Hutton to stop Simone Magill unleashing a strike. Mind you it did take about 20 people shouting at her to remind Simone that there was a pre worked move!! Mid Ulster had a further opportunity when Lisa Richardson made a great run down the left flank but her cross in was just over the incoming Chloe Barnes at the far post.  On 17 minutes Adele Gillespie had a strike from just outside the box and Glentoran keeper Alice Harkness did well to push the ball round the post for a corner.  The game was shaping up to be an evenly matched contest and Simone Magill nearly had the equaliser only for Kellie Baille to make a superb tackle to keep Glentoran in the driving seat.  Glentoran had plenty of possession but they were finding it difficult to get past the Mid Ulster back line.  Claire Rooney was having another outstanding game at the back, keeping the very dangerous Catherine O’Hagen quiet.  Another shot from Magill needed Glentoran keeper Harkness to be on her toes once more but still the Mid Ulster girls just couldn’t find the back of the net (thats what happens when you miss shooting practice Simone).   Mid Ulster were to regret these missed opportunities when Glentoran got their cushion.  Another good delivery from a corner created a bit of a scramble in the Mid Ulster box and Kellie Baillie was first to react to grab a second for Glentoran.  With the half drawing to a close Mid Ulster nearly pulled one back but after some great work by Lisa Richardson and Stacey Lee,  Simone Magills shot was just over. The second half began with Mid Ulster applying the pressure.  Chloe Barnes and Adele Gillespie were applying the pressure down the right for the home team but they couldn’t find a final ball.  Glentoran still looked dangerous and Hayley O’Donnell had to make some crucial tackles in the midfield area to stifle the Glentoran push forward.  Mykylea Stewart was having quite a physical tussle with her opposite number but she proved more than equal to her providing some searching balls for Simone Magill to chase and winning a free after a “huge shove” as described by the referee sent her flying.  With 8minutes played Brooke Jordan replaced the hard working Chloe Barnes to put a bit more physical presence into the middle of the park for the Mid Ulster girls.  Mid Ulster were now pressing higher up the pitch and it was paying dividends with another shot from Simone Magill needing another good double save from Alice Harkness with Stacey Lee closing in for the rebound.  Glentoran though were still dangerous on the break and the ever dependable Claire Brown was required to make a good covering tackle from one such attack.  Sister Ruth at left back was also kept busy as Glentoran raided down the right wing but once again Ruth was able to snuff out the danger.  Louise Murphy then replaced Stacey Lee after 26 minutes and she nearly didn’t get onto the field as the referee spotted her newly acquired Mid Ulster armband which was deemed as jewellery. 

The offending wrist band

Armband removed and with accusations of being a Liverpool supporter ringing in her ears Louise finally entered the field of player.  After all that she nearly made an immediate impact when her good work released Brooke Jordan for a shot that was deflected for a corner.  From the corner Glentoran broke and Demi Vance tried a shot from outside the area that was just wide.  Minutes later and Glentoran won a corner which they swung in with the ball ending up in the back of the Mid Ulster net.  The celebrations were short lived as the referees whistle had sounded for a foul on Jackie free out to Mid Ulster.  Well it only took 4 Glentoran players to box her in!   This was to be the final action of the night and although Glentoran BU progress to the semi final the Mid Ulster girls could be proud of their performance.  Team: J Burns, C Brown, C Rooney, M Stewart, R Brown, L Richardson, H O’Donnell, A Gillespie, C Barnes (B Jordan), S Magill, S Lee (L Murphy)    Subs not used E McFarland, D Bettany, R Stewart