Mid Ulster retain Premiership status

By · September 26, 2016 · Filed in News
Stanley Park in Lisburn was the setting for the second leg of the play off between Mid Ulster ladies and Lisburn Ladies for  a place in the NIFL Dankse bank Premier league for 2017.  With Mid Ulster Ladies holding a 4-0 lead from the first leg Lisburn had it all to do to secure their first season in the top flight. Mid Ulster kicked off proceedings playing into a stiff breeze.  This didn’t trouble the girls from Cookstown as they immediately went on the attack as Hannah Turkington flicked a header on for Sarah Connolly to slot marginally wide.  With two minutes on the clock Mid Ulster won the first corner of the game but Lisa Richardsons shot from the clearance was again off target.  More Mid Ulster pressure followed but a combination of poor finishing and a fine save by Jessica Poots from Rebecca Bassett meant the Lisburn goal remained unbreached.  With 7 minutes played Lisburn made their first advance into the opposition half and won a corner.   An inswinger was pushed out by Megan Ferson but it fell to Lisburns Stacey Murdough who forced the ball home and gave the Lisburn girls a 1-0 lead on the day.  Mid Ulster responded with an attack from the kick off with Chloe McCarron shooting over this time.  Lisburn were starting to get into the game and Sara Steveson saw her effort go just over before the Lisburn girls won another corner.  This time Mid Ulster cleared the danger and went on the attack yet again.  With 17 minutes on the clock the Mid Ulster girls drew level.  Great work by Chloe McCarron played Samantha Kelly in and she held off her marker to finish well.  Further pressure from Mid Ulster and 5 minutes later Chloe McCarron again provided the assist for Sarah Connolly to finish and make the score line 2-1.   This seemed to spur the Lisburn girls on and they enjoyed a good spell of pressure with Debbie McCarthy crossing well but Mid Ulsters Lisa Richardson tidied up well.  McCarthy and Steveson were causing the Mid Ulster back line a number of problems and it was just reward when McCarthy levelled the scores on 38 minutes with a good strike.  As the half time whistle approached Hannah Turkington had a chance for Mid Ulster but once again Jessica Poots was off her line quickly to make a fine save and keep the score 2-2 going into the break. The second half kicked off with Lisburn creating the first chance.  An inviting ball across the face of goal rolled wide of the mid Ulster goal.  Mid Ulster responded with a Chloe McCarron shot but it was well over the bar.  With 47 played Lisburns Sara Steveson was clean through but Megan Ferson came out well to make a fine save.  The game was end to end as Samantha Kelly shot wide at the other end.  Lisburn then made the first change with Kerry McCann replacing Courtney Poots with 50minutes played.  Lisburn were having a better half and the Mid Ulster back line were a lot busier with keeper Megan Ferson pulling off a couple of fine saves.  At the other end Mid Ulster had possession but were finding it difficult to get past Paula Haugh and her fellow defenders.   The game went through a bit of a scrappy phase and subs followed with Dani Bingham replacing Jenny Hinds for Lisburn and Lyn Sommerville replacing Hannah Turkington for Mid Ulster.  A few niggly fouls were creeping into the game and Lisburn defended a couple of free kicks on the edge of their area well. Annie O’Neill replaced Karen Donnell for Mid Ulster with 85minutes played.   As the clock ticked down the chance of Lisburn scoring 5 was slipping away.  The whistle sounded with a final score of 2-2 on the day but Mid Ulster wining 6-2 on aggregate and so maintaining their premier league status for 2017.  team-lisburn Team M Ferson, C Rooney, L Richardson, K Donnell (A O’Neill), R Rodgers, S Kelly, C McCarron, H Turkington (L Sommerville), M Stewart, S Connolly, R Bassett.

Leave a Comment